Thursday, December 18, 2008

Fried Rice

About 3 cups of cooked rice, cooled
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
2 tablespoons of chopped green onions
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup of diced cooked chicken (or beef, or pork, or ham)
1 cup of mixed vegetables (carrots and peas)
1 dash of pepper
2 tablespoons of soy sauce (more if you like it)
salt to taste

Heat the oil over medium to high heat in a large preheated skilled or wok. Add the onions and eggs into the oil, and stir until they are cooked. Stir in chicken, carrots, peas, and pepper. Stir fry for about to minutes or until vegetables are both crispy and tender. Stir in the cooked rice. Add soy sauce and salt. Stir until the soy sauce is mixed evenly.

On July 16, 2008, a lady named Ying Stoller came to the library in the town where I live, and showed a room full of people how to make fried rice. It was awesome. I love fried rice! And lately, I have been trying to stretch leftovers (Don't worry. It is the economy, but we are doing fine. I try to stretch the left overs so that I can donate more canned goods to the food pantry and still stay within our budget. Food pantry clients have escalated, providers have declined, so those of us who can do more need to creatively find ways to do just that. Getting off soap box now, and back into the kitchen). This is a really great recipe to stretch all sorts of leftovers with.
Mrs. Stoller was also selling a book while she was here. It is called Ying's Chinese Cookbook: Authentic But Simple. She shared these recipes with a bunch of strangers for free to promote her book. I feel justified in sharing the same recipe if I do the same and promote her book. Hey, if I am wrong, she can comment and ask me to delete the post. I will if she feels that way, but can't understand why she would. I am going to try to provide a link to her website. Wish me luck.
www.yingskitchen.com

Click here to go to Ying's Kitchen

1 comment: