Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Make Ahead French Toast

My cyberfriends have encouraged me to start a recipe blog. At first, I felt resistant because I don't think I could do a recipe a day, then I remembered that it was only recently that I started posting daily on my other blog, so here we are.

I got this recipe from a Church cookbook about 14 years ago (yes, before I was married I was buying Church cookbooks). At the time, my mom did all the cooking, but I made note that one day for Sunday breakfasts I may want to start this on a Saturday, then put it in the oven Sunday while I get ready.
I changed the recipe to include Splenda instead of sugar (mom is a diabetic) and vanilla and cinnamon because my husband loves those flavors. So yes, I have changed the recipe and therefore made it mine.


Breakfast
Make Ahead French Toast


1 long thin loaf of French bread
8 large eggs
3 cups of milk
4 tsp. of splenda
¾ tsp of salt
1 Tbsp of vanilla
½ tsp. cinnamon
2 Tbsp. butter, cut into pieces

Spray 9 X 13 X 2 inch pan with cooking spray. Cut bread into 1 inch slices, and arrange in a single layer. Beat eggs, and then add milk, splenda, salt, vanilla, and cinnamon. Beat for about 30 seconds to combine. Evenly pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, and no more than 24 hours. Dot with butter and bake 45 to minutes at 350 degrees. French toast should look puffy and light brown.



I usually microwave bacon or sausage to serve with it. Maybe microwave bacon will be my next post....

6 comments:

  1. Yea!!!! I'm your first commenter!

    Hey, this is basically THE SAME recipe that I serve EVERY CHRISTMAS MORNING- a tradtion in our home since my kids were young. (I use real sugar though).

    It also makes a great gift for teachers.
    Here's what I did for the boy's teahers one year:

    I typed up a little tag letting them know how much we appreciate their hard work and that they had earnd the right to relax and put their feet up.

    I gave the recipe already prepared in a dish - or you could use a foil "dish" (they put them in the lounge fridge) the last day before Christmas break, so that all they had to do was pop it in the oven the next morning and they would have a "gourmet" breakfast" for their first morning on break. also made some homemade syrup- very easy.

    They loved it!

    I'm gonna love this sight Helen.

    Please for my sake, we have lots of BEEF to eat (1/2 cow in the deep freeze). LOTS of hamburger. SO I would appreciate some beefy recipes!

    Good luck with your new sight- I'll add it to my blogroll!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sherri! I think giving it as a gift is a great idea, especially to elderly neighbors so they can prepare a great Christmas breakfast easily. I have some elderly neighbors. I may try that (all though I think the man on the east of me doesn't like us. He may not trust me. But he can!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katdish left you a link on my site in her comment, so you can link on your posts.
    It would be great if you could add some pics of the dishes. Food is SO VISUAL ya' know. You can go to flikr.com (spelled correctly- NOT a typo) and type in recipes and there are all sorts of free photos you can use. I usd that on my site awhile back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmmmmmm! Now I'm extremely hungry! I'm going to make this for church this week instead of buying donuts. You rock, Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course, there WAS a typo in flikr. It's
    F L I C K R (leave out the E).
    Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Helen, this is one of my traditional New Years Day recipes. Everyone luuuhhhvs it! I just slice the bread and use real sugar and then refrigerate overnight. Serve with some real maple syrup...twice as good!

    ReplyDelete