Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Split Pea Soup




I am now going to share with you my mother's recipe for split pea soup. She got it from my grandmother. You and I are not going to tell anyone that Grandma got it from the back of a bag of green split peas, then tweaked it, are we? Now you know where I got my recipe stealing, er, borrowing, skills from. That is what has been passed down to me from generation to generation.

Green Split Pea Soup with Ham
1 lb. of green split peas (use yellow if you have been watching movies you shouldn't have been. If you still can't deal, look on the back of a package of lentils, and tweak that)
8 cups of water
1 meaty ham bone
1 cup of chopped ham
1 large onion, chopped
3 stalks of celery, chopped
3 carrots, scraped and chopped
a pinch of salt
2 garlic cloves, minced
Wash, sort, and drain split peas. Combine all ingredients in a large pot with lid. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for about 1 hour or until cooked through, stirring occasionally. Before serving, remove ham from the bone. Cut ham off bone, and dice. Add to the soup and serve.

When you go to a restaurant, you get a cup this as the soup of the day sometimes with your meal. A full bowl of this is a meal in itself. Sometimes it is hard to think of soup as a meal. If that is a problem for you, think of it as ham and pea stew. Now you can serve it as a meal, no?

8 comments:

  1. I love pea soup!

    Were you reading my mind! This (Jan.) is soup month! Bring on the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. COme check out my new blog site:
    http://deargabby-sherri.blogspot.com

    Be the first to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mum used to make this for us when we were kids, as well as lentil soup (similar ingredients, just puy lentils rather than split peas). Very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, Helen. Time for a new recipe. How about super bowl party food for this Sunday?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay,then, how about a recipe for Valentine's Day? Pea soup could be served on St. Patty's Day, but I still think we need a new recipe here before then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I'm linking this site and posting this recipe on mine tomorrow for St. Patty's Day.

    You better add a new recipe soon!

    ReplyDelete